by Ian S. Palmer
The undefeated Carolina Panthers will try to win their 13th straight game this season and 17th in a row overall when they host the Atlanta Falcons at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte this Sunday, December 13. The Panthers emerged with a thrilling 41-38 victory over New Orleans last Sunday and at 12-0 are easily leading the NFC South. The Falcons sit in a second place tie in the division with Tampa Bay at 6-6 on the year. They’re coming off of heartbreaking 23-19 overtime loss to Tampa in week 13 action.
Falcons vs Panthers – 5Dimes NFL BETTING LINE:
- 5Dimes currently lists the Panthers at -8.5 (+105) with the Falcons +8.5 (-125) and the over/under at 46.5 points
- Money Line: Atlanta Falcons +310, Carolina Panthers -370
Falcons vs Panthers – Betting Trends:
- Season record: 6-6 straight up, 4-8 against the spread
- Current Streak: lost 5 straight games
- Atlanta is 0-5 against the spread in their last 5 games
- Atlanta is 0-5 straight up in their last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Atlanta’s last 5 games
- Season record: 12-0 straight up, 9-3 against the spread
- Current Streak: won 12 straight games.
- Carolina is 4-1 against the spread in its last 5 games
- Carolina is 5-0 straight up in its last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Carolina’s last 6 games
The Falcons have now dropped their last five games and are heading in the opposite direction compared to the Panthers. Atlanta got off to a flying start this season with a 5-0 record, but have now tasted defeat in six of their past seven contests. It’s going to be hard for them to turn things around against Carolina though as they’ll need to improve dramatically in all aspects of the game. Quarterback Matt Ryan went 30 for 45 on the weekend with a touchdown pass and an interception and gained 269 yards.
Julio Jones will also need to step up to the plate. He gained 93 yards on eight receptions on the weekend and has now caught 100 passes for the second consecutive campaign. He’s leading the league this year with 1,338 yards on 102 receptions in a dozen outings. Jones faces a tough task ahead of him though as the Panthers’ secondary allows only 223.8 yards against per game in the air this year, which ranks number fine in the league. Atlanta heads into Carolina with a 2-4 record against the spread this season on their road travels.
The Panthers came out on the right side of a 41-38 shootout on Sunday and the win keeps them a pair of games ahead of Arizona at the top of the NFC. Quarterback Cam Newton had another fine outings as he completed 28 of his 41 pass attempts, threw for 331 yards, and tossed a career-best five touchdown passes. He threw a 15-yard pass to Jerricho Cotchery to win the game with just 65 seconds left on the clock. Newton has thrown five touchdown passes and for more than 300 yards in a game twice now this season.
The Panthers won’t be happy about conceding 38 points though and turning the ball over three times in the first half against the Saints. One fumble was returned all the way for a while a blocked extra point resulted in a pair of points for New Orleans. Carolina will enter the game with a 4-4 mark against the spread at home this season and should win their 13th straight game of the campaign on Sunday.
Click here to learn more about NFL BETTING and how to bet on the Falcons vs Panthers game at eBetting101.com.