The New York Jets enter week 9 with two consecutive victories under their belt as they head to the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida to take on the Dolphins in a big AFC contest on Sunday, November 6th. They downed the winless Cleveland Browns on the road last week 31-28,but still occupy last spot in the AFC East though at 3-5 on the year. The Dolphins are in third place in the division at 3-4 and rested last week with a bye. They’ve also won two straight outings after knocking off Pittsburgh and Buffalo.
Jets vs Dolphins – 5Dimes NFL Betting Line:
- 5Dimes lists the Dolphins as 3.5 point home favorites (1.909 for both bets)
- The over/under is 44 points (1.909 for both bets)
- Money Line: Dolphins are also favored outright at 1.526 with the Jets 2.650
Jets vs Dolphins Betting Trends:
New York Jets:
- Season record: 3-5 SU, 3-4-1 ATS
- NY Jets are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games
- NY Jets are 2-4 ATS in their last 6 games
- NY Jets are 3-6-2 ATS in their last 11 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of the NY Jets last 8 games on the road
- NY Jets are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 8 of the NY Jets last 11 games when playing Miami
- NY Jets are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games when playing Miami
- NY Jets are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games when playing on the road against Miami
- Team record: 3-4 SU, 3-4 ATS
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Miami’s last 6 games
- Miami is 4-10 ATS in its last 14 games
- Miami is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home
- Miami is 4-11 ATS in its last 15 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Miami’s last 11 games when playing NY Jets
- Miami is 1-4 SU in their last 5 games when playing NY Jets
- Miami is 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games when playing NY Jets
- Miami is 2-11 ATS in their last 13 games when playing at home against NY Jets
- Miami is 1-5 SU in their last 6 games when playing at home against NY Jets
New York Jets – A Closer Look:
Jets’ quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has performed much better in his last two appearances and he needed it badly. He threw a touchdown pass and 228 yards in Cleveland by going 16 for 34. The biggest news of the day though is the fact that he hasn’t been picked off for two straight games now. New York will be trying to extend its winning streak to three, but they’re only 2-3 both straight up and ATS over their past five road trips. Fitzpatrick struggled early against Cleveland and totaled just 30 yards in passing for the first half.
He picked things up in the second stanza, but the Jets may look to the backfield this weekend for production. They’ll be facing a Miami team which owns a weak run defense and this could be good news for the Jets’ Bilal Powell and Matt Forte. Miami owns the league’s third-worst defense when it comes to rushing since they concede an average of 135.6 yards against on the ground each week. The Jets ground attack rushes for an average of 110.1 yards an outing. New York has the second-best run defense by allowing only 74 yards against per contest.
Miami Dolphins – A Closer Look:
Miami is also winners of two straight so their bye may have spoiled the momentum. The biggest reason for their victories was running back Jay Ajayi as he’s been outstanding in the past two games. He ran for a pair of touchdowns and 204 in the 20-15 win against the Steelers and then added another 214 yards and a touchdown against the Bills. He’ll be facing a stiffer rushing defense this week though, but should still be utilized when possible.
Miami should also test the Jets’ 31st-ranked pass defense since it gives up an average of 289.1 yards against each week. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill hasn’t been picked off in the past two contests and went 15 for 25 in passing against the Bills for a touchdown and 204 yards. The Dolphins have gone 4-1 straight up and 3-2 ATS over their past five games at home.
Next up for both teams:
- New York home to Los Angeles Sunday, November 13
- Miami at San Diego Sunday, November 13
By Ian S. Palmer